IBTSOME Chapter 7 Part 2: Anti-Marriage

I BECAME THE STEPMOTHER OF MY EX-HUSBAND

 

Chapter 7 Part 2: Anti-Marriage

 


 ^^



Zhou Mao Cheng sighed for a while, then retracted his gaze, still wanted to try again: "Wangye, the matter of Shizi..."

  

"No need to say anymore, I won't go back." Gu Hui Yan put down the writing brush on the desk, obviously his expression had not changed, but the room suddenly felt cold, "Less than a month after the first wife died of illness, he proposed to remarry, and the wedding is still scheduled for February this year. Did he ever consider Grand ​​Princess Shou Kang’s opinion? Already a big man, he's still so naive and reckless."

 

Zhou Mao Cheng tried to speak for Gu Cheng Yao: "Shizi is still young, how can he take into consideration the human relations..."

  

"Young? This year he is already seventeen. When I was seventeen years old, I was entrusted with the title of Yan Wang and took over the entire mansion of Yan Wang. If you look at him again, what have he done."

 

Zhou Mao had nothing to say. In fact, no matter who it was, seventeen was still half a child’s age, not to mention for the noble son in the capital, it’s the age of ‘riding a horse on a leaning bridge and the building full of red sleeves’1. But who made Shizi’s father, Yan Wang Gu Hui Yan, become famous too early, the light was too bright. Gu Hui Yan went to the battlefield at the age of fifteen. At the age of sixteen, he fought a beautiful battle that brought him fame. Since then, his reputation had spread throughout the country. After that, at the age of seventeen he became Dazhou’s youngest Qinwang2. At the age of twenty-five, he already made great achievements and became the most important courtier and nephew that the emperor heavily rely on. At the age of twenty-seven he made the merits of ‘saving the country in times of danger’, at the age of twenty-nine became the regent chancellor3. By now, Yan Wang was only thirty-three years old, and he was already famous all over the world.

  

Under his father's aura, Gu Cheng Yao did seem a bit too thin. Gu Cheng Yao's performance in recent years was also remarkable. Looking at the younger generation in the capital, he was also one of the leaders, but compared with his father, it was really not enough.

  

Gu Hui Yan therefore dissatisfied with Gu Cheng Yao, and Zhou Mao Cheng had nothing to say. When Lin Wei Xi heard that Yan Wang wouldn’t go back to attend the wedding of Gu Cheng Yao and Gao Ran, she almost couldn’t hold back her laugh.

  

Obviously already on the road but avoiding it, this was not the same as not returning because of the war. Lin Wei Xi hurriedly lowered her head to cover up her gloating. However, Zhou Mao Cheng as a loyal subject really couldn't help it, he persuaded a few more words: "Wangye, this subordinate know that you have high hopes for Shizi, but Shizi is young after all. He is not like us, tumbling in the flames of war, training from early morning to have iron bone. Shizi has always admire you, but it’s a pity because of the war, always separated and rarely together. This time you return to capital, it’s a rare opportunity for you to get along with him. Even if you are dissatisfied, you have to talk to him slowly."

 

After listening, Gu Hui Yan didn't say anything, did not speak or showed anger. However, this kind of expression was often scarier than anger. Zhou Mao Cheng dared not say any more, and looked at Lin Wei Xi for help: "Lin’s daughter, why don’t you say something?"

  

Lin Wei Xi sneered inwardly, want her be the lobbyist? The ex-husband and her shu sister were getting married. Expecting her, this older sister, to bless their true love? Simply dreaming. Now Gu Cheng Yao's father and Gao Ran's future father-in-law was right in front of her, if Lin Wei Xi did not take advantage of this God-given opportunity to give them trouble, she would live this life in vain!

  

"Your Highness, you are doing the right thing. If your child does something wrong, he should be punished. You can't get used to him! He is such a big man, what can't he stand? Without your protection, when he won't be obedient can he take responsibilities?"

 

Zhou Mao Cheng looked at Lin Wei Xi in amazement, and Gu Hui Yan could not help but laugh: "You really hate him. Forget it, just listen to you, this time I will not tolerate him. But you are just a child, why sound so mature? You are one year younger than Gu Cheng Yao, but your teaching tone is the same as his elders."

  

Lin Wei Xi was called a "child", she was very upset at first, but when she looked at the people around her had a relieved expression, she guessed that Yan Wang's laugh was very rare, at least it proved that there would be no major events next. Lin Wei Xi unexpectedly solved Gu Cheng Yao’s entanglement, her gangster heart actually not willing. But she couldn't be too much, Yan Wang was kind to her, if she provoked again it would be too boring.

 

Looking at Lin Wei Xi's reluctant look, Gu Hui Yan felt more and more that this little girl was really lively and compare to a solidified person like him almost like they lived in two different worlds. Gu Hui Yan didn't want to embarrass her too much, so he asked: "I haven't asked just now, what are you doing here?"

 

Lin Wei Xi almost forgot about it, she quickly said, "I come here specially to thanking Your Highness Yan Wang! Thank you for upholding justice for me, and thank you for taking me out of the wolf den."

 

It's just a sentence, Gu Hui Yan didn't take it seriously. He gestured to Zhou Mao Cheng, and Zhou Mao Cheng retreated. After there were no outsiders in the study, Gu Hui Yan and Lin Wei Xi talked about her personal affairs: "Your aunt is too greedy and is not a good match. I sent someone to investigate Li Yuanwai, his son is indecisive and unreliable. It’s right for you to not want to marry these two families. Although this county town is very small, but it’s better to be close to your hometown. You can get married here, so you can live a stable life and avoid the harassment of Lijia village. I asked the county magistrate to fetch a roster over, among them there are a few young official..."

  

Lin Wei Xi was almost disillusioned: "Your Highness, what are you doing?"

  

Gu Hui Yan sighed slightly, looked at Lin Wei Xi’s helpless eyes: "You were angry yesterday, so I leave you alone. But you are young and at your prime age, you won't really be an ancient Buddha with a green lantern and be alone right?"

  

"Why not?" Lin Wei Xi looked at Gu Hui Yan, her eyes moistened unknowingly, "I thought you wouldn't be like this. I respect you from the bottom of my heart, but why do you want to force me?"

 

After Lin Wei Xi finished speaking, she did not dare to look at Gu Hui Yan's expression again, turned around and rushed out quickly. Zhou Mao Cheng who guarded the door was shocked when he saw Lin Wei Xi rushing out with red eyes: "Lin Girl, what's the matter with you?"

  

Lin Wei Xi didn't speak, and ran away. Zhou Mao Cheng stared blankly and then looked into the study, he saw Gu Hui Yan pressing his eyebrows.

  

Zhou Mao Cheng looked at the expressions of these two people, and the drama that played in his head was almost scaring him to death. He stood at the door and carefully asked: "Wangye, what happened to Miss Lin?"

  

Gu Hui Yan sighed more times these day than in the past year: "Blame me for forcing her to marry."

  

It turned out to be this, oops, scared him to death. Zhou Mao Cheng breathed a sigh of relief. He thought of yesterday's affairs, and after a short while, he decided to tell Yan Wang.

  

After Zhou Mao Cheng finished talking about Li Da, Gu Hui Yan's expression was completely out of sight. His face was covered with ice, and his voice was faintly angry: "Why didn't you say it yesterday?"

  

"She is a little girl with a thin skin, she wouldn't want to let people know about this kind of thing."

  

Gu Hui Yan thought for a while, and suddenly felt a little pity in his heart. He thought she only had a temper, just now she only make noises that she would not marry. It turned out that she came across such a thing in private. She was a lone and weak woman to run into this kind of thing and had nowhere to ask for help. It’s no wonder she rejected getting married. Gu Hui Yan sighed in his heart, but the words that came out were completely different and cold: "Call Gu Mingda in."

  

Gu Mingda was Yan Wang's right-hand man. Zhou Mao Cheng knew that Yan Wang was really angry this time. In recent years, Yan Wang had a lot of responsibilities and his emotions became more and more restrained. Few could make him release his emotions, Aunt Lin's family could do this, that was also some ability.





1 It’s lines from a poem from “The Bodhisattva Man” by Wei Zhuang a poet in the late Tang Dynasty. I think it basically means romantic, unrestrained life of youth, not too sure!
2 First class prince.
3 A person who issue administrative order on behalf of the monarch, basically the person in charge behind the emperor because the emperor was too young.

Prev     TOC     Next

Comments

  1. It's good that the MC has Yan Wang to help her otherwise her Aunt wouldn't have let her live in peace. Thanks for the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just get married to the ml already..that's what I want but I also want the story to properly develop😣

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that she gets to be childish and receive acceptance for it, compared to her previous life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was not the reason.... and it gave her a wake up call.... But she still hates it, so WAY TO GO GU YUI HAN!! XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for translating this, my saviour 😭

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love their interactions until,,,, aiya still thank u for the chapter!!~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Their age gap kind of disturbs me...
    It would be ok if he was immortal or something but he's simply human....
    She's 16 and he's 33....
    I would really rather read about their father-daughter dynamic....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in ancient times, a woman reached adulthood at 15. as long as both parties already adult and willing, they can marry each other, age are nothing.
      i myself married a man 22 year older, and i always fond older man because they were more mature, understanding and reliable😏

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Oops, I accidentally deleted my last comment... Well, let's try this again, shall we?
      Haha... Everyone looks at me weird when I say I like older men - although it's subtle, I know they think I'm strange for that lol. But then I always counterattack with the fact that most guys my age/generation are on a whole 'nother level of immature.
      Yes, if I find someone my age who is mature and respects me, I would have no objections. My priority is maturity!!! It doesn't matter if he's a few years younger(I'm still pretty young, so at this point there's not a whole lot of leeway on that front) or 10+ years older.
      Actually, when I hear people talking about how surprised they are that a couple's age gap is... say, 9 years... I think to myself, "Did I miss something? Wasn't that normal?"
      Everyone: "No. No, that was just you."
      Sike~ And the people who are getting married~
      Anyway....Sorry if that made no sense. I'm glad someone else shares my thoughts~ I'll leave now, byeee!;)

      Delete
    4. Age gap is only wierd if the older person waa in a father figure type of role before. A 15 year old has a similar body to older adults do this really isnt pedophilia. In the past in certain civilizations even 12 year old were married before. We just think its weird because weve extended childhood in todays society

      Delete
    5. My mom was 17 when she married my dad 31 y.o. Till now, we are living happy life. I am 27, my sis 25 and my lil bro 21. My dad was old bachelor at that time, working all his youth and prime to support my widow grandmother and 6 younger siblings. When he was forced to find a wife, he is still oversea working his bone. Seeing his letter, my uncle (brother of my mother) said there is a maiden in his village suitable for my dad. My dad was tricked as he gave bethrotal money, but my uncle ran away with it. My dad then went to my uncle's village and succeeded in finding my maternal grandfather. My grandpa said the girl (my uncle gave photo to my dad) is married already and had go to Saudia for work. My grandpa wanted to matchmake my dad (as he liked my dad and felt guilty) with my mom's cousin (25), but she isn't willing. Turned out, my mom is willing so my grandpa matchmake the two. I never felt prejudice for large age gap couple largely due to my parents. When a real man solely want to build a family of his own, he only want a willing wife to build a home with for their future children. I never saw age but sense of responsibility. A responsible man can marry any responsible woman. With sense of responsibility, there won't be cheating, divorce, neglect, abuse etc.

      Delete
  8. 'However, Zhou Mao Cheng's heart as a loyal minister really couldn't hold back'.
    I thought he was a soldier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably just an expression. If we think of Yan Wang as Commander in Chief of the Army, ZMC is probably his general

      Delete
  9. He's only 33 not too bad. Honestly nothing after coming from cultivation novels where the age gaps are even bigger. And the society was different in that ancient setting. Honestly not unusual for this genre. Xiao Xi you're too cute! Keep scolding! I will laugh for you.
    Can't really complain since he'll treat her well. Don't bully my poor girl. She makes you laugh, spirit her away and dote on her till your last breath Wangye!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well 33 hu .... I mean it's not as bad as I thought but still iffy as fuck it's double her age, yeah I'm taking the time this story is set in and all into consideration but still you can suck my ass if you think there's no problem here.

    Welp there's different circumstances everywhere I guess, it's very weird but him bring 33 is just like barely okay for me to not feel too disgusted.

    Welp he really hurt her there cuz she indeed has no backing and is feeling forced to marry ....

    Oh gonna get some revenge for her, nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment